Wednesday 25 November 2015

OUGD502 - Study Task 01 - Taking Care of Business

We have now been introduced to the second module for PPP, in which we are required to get together with like minded creative's in our year group and formulate a business strategy/plan for the future. The business model is at this stage, purely hypothetical. However, the work we do now may well come in handy at a later date. This module in effect, paves the way for future opportunity, should we chose to follow it through.

We spent the majority of the day focusing on the task of finding people to be in a group with. Initially, myself, Izzie and Amelia were going to work together as a three, but we thought it would beneficial to try and get at least two other like minded people on our team, so we approach James and Tom. They were positive and said that they would get back to us. They got back to us swiftly and said they would be more than happy to merge their group of two with us, making a group of five. 

We thought it would be a good idea to list our interests and strengths to get a good idea of what each member could bring on an individual level to the group for this brief. 


Interests & Strengths that I can bring to the group:
  •  I am multidisciplinary in my skills and interests. I don’t like pigeon holing myself; I think it’s unhealthy to do so especially in today’s creative industries.
  •  I love working across media, I try to incorporate analogue techniques into my work wherever I see fit, because I really value the effects that can be achieved through using them
  •  I have strong interests in poster, flyer, promotional design and editorial – I don’t dislike completely digital design, because I do dabble in it, but it is not my preferred format
  •  I have strong interests in photography and collage as well as illustration
  •  I do have a growing interest in hand rendered typography and also graphic design that use type only to convey concepts, messages and purposes - I think the other members of the group share similar interests
We then sat down to discuss five key areas of investigation in regards to the work we would be producing as a collective. Amelia wanted to look into logo design and branding, Izzie wanted to investigate screen printing and its relevance as well as other analogue techniques, James wanted to look into editorial design, Tom typographic and type only work and I am looking at collaging, mixed media and slow style design. I am going to look at specific practitioners and studios that work in ways that inspire me and ways that I see us working as a collective. 



No comments:

Post a Comment