Saturday 18 April 2015

OUGD402 - Brief 01 - Exhibition Visit: Secret 7" at Somerset House, London

During the Easter break, I went home back to London and paid a visit to Somerset house to see the free Secret 7 Exhibition which I had been looking forward to for a while. The show was amazing, the range of work that was exhibited was mind blowing. There was so much to take in and observe.

The whole time that I was there, I tried to work out exactly what the general, overall feel and aesthetic of the show was, as from looking at the panels of designs as whole things, there was definitely a subtle governing aesthetic to the show. I was also trying to work out why my designs didn't make the final cut, because I looked at some of the artwork and was genuinely shocked by the standard and finish of them. Some looked ridiculously hand made and unfinished, and some were just too obvious and boring and didn't really in my opinion answer the brief in an exciting, engaging and conceptual way. But I figured at the end of the day the selection process was of course objective and you can never really guess what the judges are looking for, you just have to be in it to win it.

It felt amazing to be walking through the show and to spot pieces of work done by my friends on the course. I am really proud of the people that got selected and happy that their work is being recognised. It is definitely an achievement to be selected from over 4,000 applicants.

Here is a selection of some of the most exciting, eye catching and most inspiring pieces of work that I saw on that day:



















































































No comments:

Post a Comment