Thursday 17 March 2016

OUGD502 - Brief 01 - Defining My Practice Now

Last year, I defined/branded myself as a 'Creative Thinker' and 'An artist that does design'. At the time. these phrases felt appropriate because I didn't really know how to or want to define my practice completely. I didn't believe in pigeon holing myself into a corner with an all encompassing label such as 'Graphic Designer'. I feel that the term graphic design has become so blurred, fluid and interchangeable now that it has almost become impossible to define as an art form. Therefore, I don't see the need to define myself as a graphic designer. I think this limits your potential, as others see you as a preconceived idea of that practice.

I decided  brand myself as a 'Creative Creature' for a number of reasons. My creative concerns and horizons have broadened since staring level 05. I am beginning to realise that my design practice has the ability to change views and opinions and promote positive social and cultural change. I also realise that I can do pretty much whatever I want creatively. I believe design should be a purely expression of the designer, reflecting their personality. I am constantly experimenting with mixed media and techniques. I have a more profound interest in typography and letterforms, form following function, composition, colour and image making. I know view myself as being a creative creature rather than a creative thinker. This is conceptual for a number of reasons. One because it ties in nicely with my surname. Wolves are creatures who are cunning, resourceful and work well in groups, and I feel I have these characteristics. Secondly, because I feel that at the end of the day, I am a creature who lives and breathes creativity, and I don’t care how pretentious that sounds, because I can be pretentious, and I like it. I really don't know what I would be doing with my time if I didn't have some form of productive creative outlet. I really can't see myself doing anything else for the rest of my life.




No comments:

Post a Comment