Thursday 17 March 2016

OUGD502 - Brief 01 - Evaluation

Initially, brief 01 appeared to be rather daunting, as it required me to leave the comfort zone of the college. However, I soon came to realise that it was a very straightforward brief. Conducting the creative report allowed me to refine and realise my creative ambitions, concerns and interests. Contacting numerous creative professionals was a great experience for me, as I had never done it before. It taught me a lot about communication and boosted my confidence. It has given me great insight into the design processes of other people that share similar creative concerns and interest to me, as well as furthering my understanding of domestic and international creative industries. Creating the report was a positive experience as I was able to learn a lot about communication and general attitudes towards visual culture along the way. Learning about the way other creatives operate has filled me with inspiration and ambition, aiding me to set realistic goals for my practice for the remainder of the course and for life after college.

Deciding who to get in contact with was quite challenging, as I admire such a varied number of contemporary creative practitioners. I began my process with research, looking through my Instagram and Tumblr accounts, looking for people that really interest and inspire me. I was seeking to get into contact with people that were located closely geographically. I saw this brief as a great opportunity to form a relationship with a practicing designer/artist to potentially develop a rapport with them, gain further contacts and open up discussion about the possibilities of collaboration and work placements.

In order to secure a reply, I contacted several practitioners using email as my main tool. In hindsight this was the worst way to go about starting a project like this, and I have definitely learnt that this is the least effective way of grabbing someone’s attention. I was fortunate to receive replies from Supermundane, who was an absolute joy to talk with. He had an extremely open and friendly attitude and gave me some solid advice and tips on how to stand on my own feet when graduating with a creative degree. It was really exciting to be talking with such a prolific, talented person that I had been admiring for a while. I very much enjoyed formatting our conversation into a publication.

Alongside the report, I found the process of research very stimulating and fulfilling to my evolution as a young designer. I constantly engage with creative culture through reading books, magazines, creative blogs, social media and visiting exhibitions, shows, events and just through having friends who are interested in similar themes and areas of culture. A highlight of 2016 so far has been attending a talk from the director of Anorak magazine. It was great to get to learn about the concepts and ethos of such an original publication. Supermundane collaborated a lot with the magazine in its early stages, so it was nice to see how it had grown since its creation 10 years ago.


Overall, I have found brief 01 immensely engaging and useful to my personal development. It has greatly improved my confidence in terms of communicating with professionals and asking useful questions. I aim to contact many more practitioners and studios over the summer to continue building up a useful network of creatives to guide me through the process of entering the creative industries in roughly a years time. 

No comments:

Post a Comment