Tuesday 15 March 2016

OUGD502 - Brief 02 - Personal Progression Within the Course

How do I feel I have progressed as a learner?

I feel that my research methods have become a lot broader. I also feel that I have become a lot better at analysing my work and other design that informs my practice. I have definitely adopted a more critical stance, which has developed over time through continued engagement with critique sessions and constantly reading articles on design blogs such as ItsNiceThat, Creative Review and Creative Bloq. I find myself visiting these websites daily which I believe to a be positive thing. They are like my newspapers for current creativity, only online. At the beginning of level 04, I was not very good at critical analysis, or being succinct in general, I definitely feel that I have improved in that aspect thanks to my continual engagement with contemporary creative online culture.

How do I feel I have progressed as a creative person?

I feel that I am still striving to remain very true to myself in every brief that I undertake and have completed throughout level 05 so far. Throughout level 04, I made a concious effort to make it known that I had strong interests in art and design in the broadest sense. I entered the course undefined in terms of labelling my creativity. I still have those same views and believe I will carry them with me for a long time. I don't see myself boxing my practice in any time soon, I think this is a positive thing. These attitudes towards creativity haven't changed much over the last year, which demonstrates my ability to listen to my own creative voice and direction.

I have certainly developed a much keener interest in pure graphic design and visual communication. I was definitely more concerned with fine art before coming onto the course, and this showed in my work form level 04. I feel that the work I have been producing throughout level 05 has become a lot more refined, theory and concept driven and less about the surface aesthetic. I value the process of experimentation and research far more now than ever before, and I am really pleased about this.

Have my creative concerns shifted?

Yes. The work I am producing now is concerned with instigating positive social, cultural and political change. One of the most exciting projects that I have worked on this year has been the D&AD Monotype brief. This was an extremely open brief which required me to call people to action over a cause of my choice. I really enjoyed setting the tone of voice and entire aesthetic based on my own creative concerns whilst also striking the right message with the wide target audience.




How do I feel about my work?

Where do I see myself going now compared to level 04?


No comments:

Post a Comment